Simple Tomato Soup

September 19, 2014

Well it has been quite awhile since I blogged anything. I promise to catch up. Life has just been hectic. Hubby in and out of town, Little one just started school. I now feel like I never get a moment. If I do its a tiny moment. Well this morning started off by raining, I was thru off since its been warm all week(California weather). My kid wanted to wear her rain gear. So I have many friends that garden, I wanted to just didn't happen. Most make that mistake and plant too many tomato plants. I did the first time(lesson learned). But thanks to my wonderful friends, I was never without tomatoes. 



This time around felt like I had a ton.
 So what to do, make tomato soup and sandwiches. . . . .panini that is. My midget has been wanting to get in the kitchen so today was the perfect time. So here's my take on a old time favorite, its a recipe off the top of my head, with ingredients I had on hand and hope you enjoy it




Simple Tomato Soup 

Makes 4-6 Servings
Ingredients:

3 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 medium Red Onion(3/4-1 cup) Chopped
1 small Red Bell Pepper Chopped
2 medium Carrots(a little more than 1/2 cup) Chopped
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 1/2 lbs Fresh Garden Tomatoes
3 Cup Beef Broth
1 Tsp Dried Basil
Fresh Parsley1/4 cup Fresh Parmesan(I only had a Italian blend Shred)1/2 Tsp Ground White Pepper
Cracked Mixed Peppercorns(to taste and optional)

Directions:

Heat large pan, add oil, saute onion, bell pepper, and carrots till onions translucent. About 5 minutes. 




Add garlic and stir till fragrant, about a minute.



Add tomato paste, stir. Add Fresh Tomatoes, stir, cook down for few minutes.




Add Beef broth. Why beef broth you ask? I think it brings a heartier flavor. But your welcome to use chicken or vegetable. 



Add dry basil and bring to a boil. Lower heat and let simmer for about 25-35 minutes.




For this step you can let cool and then blend. Or do while hot. I used blender, if doing while hot only put half or a 3rd of the soup at a time. (caution I do not want anyone to burn them selves and filling to the top of blender can cause horrible mess and even worse burns. So please be careful). When I get to the very last round of blending(i only had o blend two time) I add a little sprig of parsley. Catches flavor better while soup is hot and blended. 





Next strain threw a mesh sieve, pressing as much of the pulp threw as you can. This process is mainly to catch the tomato seeds and skins. Scrap pulp from bottom of sieve. But if you don't mind then skip this step. 




Now you can refrigerate and reheat later. Or reheat now on low heat. Once warm add Parmesan, fresh chopped parsley, white pepper and cracked pepper to taste(if adding). Stir occasionally. 



Serve with parma, parsley & Parmesan toast or like I did with awesome Panini Sandwich on the side.




Here are some photos of my midget helping and making Panini's. It was her first time she was very proud and excited. Favorite moments of being mom. 







Enjoy, there's so many ways to explore tomato soup. Add new toppings and ingredients. This recipe can also be done in a crock pot. Just toss all the ingredients in and let go for 3 hours on high 4 on low. Add cheese last 20 mins. Have Fun, let me know what you think






Post a Comment